Week 3 Story: A Hollywood Love Story


Once upon a time, in a far away land called Hollywood, there lived a young rising star by the name of Psyche. Psyche was an actress and fairly new to Hollywood, but her popularity was rising quickly, and it wouldn’t be long until she was winning Emmys, Oscars, and Golden Globes. Critics would rave about how stunning she was, and would even compare her to other actresses, most often calling her "the new Venus."

Venus was an older actress, and still one of the most famous women in the country.  However, when she heard this, she was furious.   And as Psyche's fame grew, Venus grew more worried that the beautiful starlet would soon steal her spotlight.  "They think they can replace me with some newer, younger actress?!" she thought. "Well they can think again!"  Venus had a son who was a very famous movie producer, the most popular of his films being romances. In fact, dozens of celebrity relationships - and a couple of affairs - began on set of his movies, and so he gained the nickname Cupid.

Venus became so consumed with jealousy that she begged Cupid to cast Psyche as lead in a "new movie" with the rudest, most terrible actor as her costar. "You too must be awful and rude to her. And when she is forced to quit, you will spread word that she is a spoiled actress who is just too difficult to work with. Her reputation will be ruined, her name tarnished, and her career over before it even really begins."  And so Cupid did as his mother wished. He wrote the script for the fake movie and called Psyche’s manager to cast her as the lead.

At their first meeting, when he and Psyche first met face to face, there was an instant spark between them. It caught Cupid off guard at first, making him forget his words for a moment. But he shrugged it off, remembering the plan, thinking, "Maybe I’m just sleep deprived." For the first few days on set, the terrible actor he hired for the male lead was not there because he hadn’t arrived in town yet. And so Cupid would fill in for him and rehearse the lines with Psyche. During this time, Cupid quickly grew more love towards Psyche, and she seemed to have the same affection towards him.

"What is the matter with me?" he asked himself. "Is my scene writing just that good? Have I stuck myself with my own arrow by falling for these charming words that I wrote myself? Or is this not about the script at all and am I truly falling in love with this girl?"  But, of course, he already knew the answer to this question.

Feeling guilty, he called and fired the male lead and told Psyche the truth.  She was confused at first but forgave him almost instantly.  He then shared his true feelings for her, and she responded by  kissing him.

Feeling relieved, Cupid then told Psyche that she must not tell anyone of their relationship.  "If my mother hears, neither of us will ever work in Hollywood again."

"I promise," she responded. "I won't tell a soul."

But, of course, this is Hollywood, and gossip travels fast.

When Venus heard the rumor of Cupid and Psyche's relationship, she was more livid than before.  She started to pace around her bedroom contemplating her next move, when she heard the doorbell.  She went to open it and, standing before her, was Psyche herself.  And just as Venus was about to give her a piece of her mind, Psyche interrupted.

"I know what you planned," Psyche said. "And I am not mad at you for it.  On the contrary, I am grateful, for it has introduced me to the love of my life.  I know you hate me, and I wish it weren't the case, but I am willing to end my career right now if it means that we can put this feud aside and you won't try to end his career as well.  It is also my hope that, for you son's sake, we can begin a real friendship."

It was then that Venus realized how irrational and selfish she had been acting, and she felt so ashamed.  She told Psyche, "Do not do anything of the sort.  I was in the wrong, I see that now, and I am truly sorry."  Venus smiled and hugged Psyche, adding, "And I would love nothing more than for us to be friends."

After two years, and an Academy Award winning film produced by Cupid and staring Venus and Psyche as a mother-daughter duo, Cupid finally proposed to Psyche.

And they all lived happily - and famously - ever after.

Authors note: This story is inspired by Apuleius' "Cupid and Psyche."  The original fairy tale tells the story of a princess named Psyche who is so beautiful that people compare her to the goddess of beauty herself, Venus.  Venus gets angry at this and and orders her son Cupid, the god of love, to make Psyche fall in love with the most horrible man.  My story follows a similar story line but is set in modern day Hollywood, where the characters are just famous celebrities.  In both the original and my story, Cupid defies his mother, "sticks himself with his own arrow," and falls in love with Psyche.  But in contrast to the original, where Psyche turns herself in to Venus and is tortured by her, I decided to have Venus realize that she was in the wrong and accept Psyche.  In the end of both stories, Cupid and Psyche get married and live happily ever after.

Bibliography: "Cupid and Psyche" by Apuleius and translated into English by Tony Kline. Source: Cupid and Psyche

Image info: Black and white Hollywood sign.  Source: Max Pixel

Comments


  1. Hey Brianna! I loved your week 3 story. I have not tried using dialogue as a writing style but seeing your story this week makes me want to try it on one of mine coming up. I enjoyed your story being told in modern time; I also wrote mine this week in that style. I have not read the story of cupid since high school but as I was reading your story you did a great job at rewriting it in your own style while keeping the underlying message and idea there. I am looking forward to your upcoming stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your idea of a modern concept of Venus and Psyche. The petty nature of the Greek and Roman gods would undoubtedly fit in well with the extravagant life of stardom. I've hesitated in changing the setting of a story, but your retelling of Cupid and Psyche has piqued my curiosity for how I can expand my retelling ideas.

    You transformed the mythological elements very well into modern ones.

    Venus' response to Psyche's rise to fame feels especially justified. Here, you can really tell that fans have been referring to Psyche as a younger replacement for Venus. This works so well with Psyche being worshipped as the new Venus in the original myth.

    I enjoyed how you changed Cupid accidentally using a love arrow on himself to Cupid reading romantic scenes with Psyche. This scenario is a contributing reason why actors in romantic movies enter a relationship with a co-star more often than not.

    I also enjoyed a change you made to a plot holes I spotted while I read the myth of Cupid and Psyche: Why did Venus want Psyche to fall in love with a hideous monster? It never made much sense to me. Venus, you are a goddess. Why don't you just kill her? How would Psyche's marriage make people stop worshipping her?

    Your Venus' ultimate goal of ruining Psyche's reputation makes so much more sense. If people stop thinking of Psyche as all that, the spotlight will go back to Venus.

    I also liked how you made Venus put her petty feelings aside after Psyche talks to her. Though I did wonder: What inspired Psyche to be the bigger person, to the point of offering to give up her career just so she and Venus can get along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bri,

    What an engaging story! I loved reading it and felt like I could see the story playing out in real life. I love your modern take on an old story, and you executed it flawlessly. My favorite part was when Cupid thought he was just sleep deprived, I know sometimes I think I make decisions based on lack of sleep. You are a great storyteller and I am excited to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts