Topic Brainstorm

Topic 1: Brothers Grimm

As much as I love pretty, dainty fairy tales, I also find the Brothers Grimm fairy tales super interesting because of the dark spin they put on them.  I've only seen and read versions of a few famous Disney movies, like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, but I would love to read more of the ones that aren't familiar to me.  Something I would be interested in doing if I chose this topic is taking one of the stories that I haven't seen before and putting my own Disney spin on it.

Web source: Briar Rose


Topic 2: Land of Oz

The Wizard of Oz (1939). Source: flickr

I find the idea of telling a story from the land of Oz very interesting.  While I've never seen the original movie, I've the story of the Wizard of Oz plenty of times and have seen it referenced to in many TV shows and movies.  I've also seen the movie "Oz the Great and Powerful."  If I chose this topic, I would want to tell a story from the point of view of one of the secondary characters, like the lion or the tin man, or maybe one of the wicked witches.  I would also like to retell or invent new backstories for them.

Web source: Wicked Witch of the East


Topic 3: Fairy Tale Villains

One thing I like about fairy tale villains is that, while they may be evil, they're often very humorous and sarcastic.  Some of them also have really sad backstories, and so they are often misunderstood because life hasn't been very fair towards them.  Maleficent became one of my favorite Disney villains after I saw the movie "Maleficent," which told a very different story from the original Sleeping Beauty.  If I chose this topic, I would want to retell a story from the villain's point of view and retell (or invent) a backstory for them.

Web Source:  CBR


Topic 4: Nursery Rhymes

Cow jumps over the moon cartoon. Source: Public Domain


I'm interested in this topic because I like the idea of taking short and simple nursery rhyme and creating an entire story around it.  Something I would also be interested in doing is inventing a story about how the nursery rhyme came to be.  One origin story I've heard, although it's never been proven, is that "Rock A Bye, Baby" was about how Native American women put their babies in cradles in trees.

Wed source: History Daily

Comments

Popular Posts