My Storybook Favorites

OU's Haunted Halls

I'm not a big fan scary movies, but I do love a good ghost story.  I've already heard a little bit about some of OU's ghost stories, so when I saw the title of this storybook, it instantly peaked my interest.  Since I'm a naturally curious person, the introduction did a good job of pulling me in, especially after I read, "...after learning of OU's haunted halls, students have reported many more hauntings."  Reading this made me wonder if I would start to notice creepy/out of the ordinary things too.  One thing I really like about the stories is that one of them is interactive, so I could choose what happened next; but like I said, I'm a very curious person, so I had to go back to read all the endings.  I also liked how the author wrote the stories in different forms like diary entries, newspaper articles, and phone transcripts to make them seem more real.


The Stolen Princess

I love a good fairy tale, so I was particularly interested in reading this storybook.  The introduction is the start of the story, and it takes 15 years prior to the rest of the story.  I like how this is done because it drew me in instantly; so it was like I had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen the princess and how she was supposed to play a part in the faeries' plan.  I also like how the pages of the story are separated by the different settings in which the story takes place.  The pictures and colors were very whimsical and fitting with story as well, so it was easy for me to picture the characters and settings in my head as I was reading.
"Castle" by Jason (FantasyArt0102). Web source: Deviant Art


Will You Marry Me?

This story was very well put together and very sweet to read.  The introduction peaked my interest because it was about a bride getting cold feet only hours before her wedding.  The curiosity to know what she was going to do and how the titles of each page would tie in with what her family members were going to tell her prompted me to read more.  Each page is titled with a different part of the phrase "something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue," with each one containing a story that corresponds to each theme.  I love this because it ties in perfectly with the wedding theme.  In each story the bride learns a different lesson about herself and how she knows whether or not she really wants to get married.  I also like how on each page, there is a picture of the "something..." item that was given to the bride after being told the story that corresponds to it.

Comments

Popular Posts