Learning Challenge: "I wish my teacher knew..."

Empathy Challenge: I wish my teacher knew....

Reading some of these cards broke my heart.  We definitely need a lot more teachers like Ms. Schwartz and the other teachers mentioned in this article; teachers who really want to know their students and who understand that "kids don’t learn when they don’t feel safe or valued."  Kids often don't know how to tell people that something is wrong, especially when they don't even fully understand the situation themselves.  Which is why I completely agree with Ms. Schwartz and believe that teachers and parents should work together to make sure their children have all the love and support they need to succeed.

A good way to practice compassion and empathy is by actively listening to others, and not judging or down-playing their situation.  There are some times when I don't even know what to say when someone confides in me about something, but I think by just being there for them and telling them how much you love and value them is enough to give them a little bit of comfort, which will mean so much to them in the long run.
Anonymous "I wish my teacher knew" card. Source: New York Times

Comments

Popular Posts